Saturday, December 04, 2010

Well Day 3 was interesting

Day 3 saw me start the day trying to find out some medical dates so that I could take them with me to see a new therapist for my lymphedema and see if there was anything that could help.
I thought that I had got this syndrome after a gall bladder operation but as they were 3 years apart this doesn't seem to be the case.
Seems I went to the Mercy lymphedema clinic back in 2004 and then transferred out to Heidelberg. I have been told all this time that as my legs were stable and an odd shape that specialty garments from Germany would be no good for my legs. It wasnt worth the money because if they got here and were the wrong fit there was nothing that could be done and I would not be entitled to a refit or refund.
Well seems this is ALL WRONG and that the garments would help me a great deal and they can be fitted by a rep from the company. It also seems that I can be helped and that my legs can improve if only they had tried to help - how disappointing. For six years I have visited the clinic usually twice a year had my legs measured and been told to go off and get new stockings and thats about it. I was asked if I had had been given any massage? No. Have you had any tests to see if there are any underlying causes? No. Was bandaging offered? Yes but was told because I have both lymphedema and lipodema that it wouldn't help much.
I have never seen someone shake their head as much as my new therapist did.
Yes I was under the care of a public hospital and I know they are time poor (evidenced by missing an appointment in July 2010 and not being able to get back in until March 2011 with 22 people on the waiting list before me) but I have private health insurance and I dont care how much it costs I would like to have some relief from walking around on tree trunks for the rest of my life.
The 10 minutes of massage I had yesterday made a huge difference even if it was just for a short while but I am thinking that 6 years of not being looked after properly is probably going to take more than 1 massage.
Kate wants to do the bandaging but wants to wait for the cooler months just to see what sort of difference it will make, no if buts or maybe. She also wants me to try the other type of garments but wants to work on getting my legs back into a better condition before we do that too.
I have another appointment on Tuesday night thats how serious she is about getting me better and I can only say THANKYOU.
Well that was a bit of a ramble but I wanted to get it all down so I could remeber what I hope will be an important day in my life. I keep telling everyone that lymphedema is something I have to live with just like someone living with diabetes but seems although I may have to live with it it can be more properly managed.
OK the other thing that happened on day 3 was that we had works Xmas Party at a Greek restaurant in Keilor Rd Niddrie and it was a good night out.
Day 4 saw us doing some Xmas shopping and having to go to a 50th Birthday Party so will write about that tomorrow

2 comments:

A Meander Through The Jungle said...

Well well well, it just goes to show that you need to change the way you do everything, question everything and always be on the look out for new things.
I am so glad that this is a positive experience and that at last you are given a little hope. We all hate seeing you suffer as you do. It may take a little longer, but at least you have some plans to try and get it under control

xxx

Kes said...

Sounds like this new therapist was a great find Kaz - I hope you find some longer lasting relief soon x